The Manestream

The Student News Site of Lisle High School

The Manestream

The Manestream

Dillard Makes a Comeback at LHS

What? Another Dillard? Yep. Former Athletic Director Dan Dillard’s son, Cory Dillard, returned to Lisle High School as Wellness Department Head, Health teacher, and Head Coach for Football and Track.

Dillard grew up in Farmington, Illinois near Peoria. He moved to Lisle in 2000 for his father’s new job. Dillard first became a Lion when he started in District 202 in 8th grade at Lisle Junior High School. He attended Lisle Senior High School and graduated in the class of 2005.

While he was a student at LHS, he played many sports. He enjoyed playing football and basketball while he was a student. 

He grew fond of many teachers while a student at LHS. Many came to mind when I asked him about his favorite classes and teachers. He loved his PE classes as a student. He also enjoyed his Civics class with Mrs. Jaegle. He mentioned how he enjoyed the debates in her class. He enjoyed Mrs. Jaegle’s lessons incorporating debates so much that he uses this in his lessons. He incorporates debates on health topics such as mental health, emotional health, and other topics that students learn in his class. 

Though not the biggest math lover, he loved having Mrs. Zimmerman as his teacher. 

Mr. Beato was one of Dillard’s many English teachers. Mr. Beato was a teacher who led to Dillard’s love of reading. So much so that when Dillard decided what kind of teacher he wanted to be, Mr. Beato’s class made English nearly his major. 

His Path From Student to Teacher

After graduating from Lisle in 2005, he was so inspired by the Lisle teachers that he decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a teacher. 

He attended Northern Illinois University, obtaining a Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education and minoring in health education. He then obtained a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership from the University of St. Francis. 

His teaching experience is primarily at Lockport Township High School in Lockport, Illinois. He taught a variety of different physical education courses. He talked to me about his experience teaching an adaptive physical education course, which he called an “eye-opening experience.” Working with these students changed his worldview. In addition to teaching during the day, he coached football and basketball at Lockport. Being able to coach was the primary reason he decided to become a physical education teacher.  

“The kids always give me something to look forward to every day.”

— Cory Dillard

Dillard puts students at the forefront. Making sure his students learn by using contemporary, engaging lessons such as debates, stations, team activities, and even mental health music dance parties, ensures students remain engaged and leave his class feeling good every day all while learning the content for his class. 

Lisle’s unique environment, from small class sizes to quality education, is what Dillard thinks makes this community so special. “The kids always give me something to look forward to every day.”

Welcome back, Mr. Dillard.